Automated process for monitoring of safety instrumented systems (APOS)
The project will develop knowledge and specifications that simplify and automate design and operation of safety instrumented systems in the petroleum industry. Project results will help industry partners develop new solutions for collecting, analysing and sharing failure data of safety systems during design and operation.
The technical condition of systems protecting petroleum facilities needs to be closely monitored to maintain a high safety level in the Norwegian petroleum activities, As of today, monitoring of technical condition requires considerable manual effort in extracting and interpreting data from various systems. Digitalization and increased automation may contribute to improved data accuracy and control of safety system reliability as well as more cost-effective operations. Thus, more time may be spent on identifying and implementing long-term reliability improvement measures.
The following industry partners participate in the project:
- supplier of safety systems: Kongsberg Maritime and Siemens Energy
- consulting company: Safetec and Vysus Group,
- engineering company: Aker Solutions,
- operating company implementing the solutions: Aker BP, ConocoPhillips, Equinor, Repsol, and Altera.
- SINTEF and NTNU contribute with research-based methods and knowledge.
The project is supported by the PETROMAKS 2 program in the Research Council of Norway.
Project duration: 2019-2022